welcome to Snook, Texas

SNOOK, TX. Snook is at the intersection of Farm roads 60 and 2155, some fifteen miles southeast of Caldwell in eastern Burleson County. Snook grew out of a Czech farming settlement about a mile southwest of the current town. This settlement was first called Sebesta, or Sebesta's Corner, after the Sebesta family, who were among the earliest settlers in the area. In 1895 the community sought to obtain a post office. John S. Snook, the postmaster at Caldwell, arranged for the post office at the nearby community of Dabney Hill to be moved to a site halfway between Dabney Hill and Sebesta. The new post office was named Snook in his honor, and Sebesta residents gradually clustered around this new town center. Telephone service reached the community about 1901, and in 1910 a lodge hall was erected for the Slavonic Benevolent Order of the State of Texas. By 1914 there were an estimated eighty residents at Snook, which at that time had two general stores, a grocer, and a blacksmith. That year a new school, called Moravia School, was built. During the 1920s, when the community had some seventy-five residents, artesian wells were dug for the town water supply. Several smaller schools consolidated with that of Snook in 1935, and in 1937 a new school building opened at the community. It became the nucleus of the Snook Independent School District in 1949. During the 1950s improved local roads provided better transportation for the community, and with the employment opportunities provided by the growth of the nearby Bryan-College Station area, Snook's population increased to 140 in 1950 and 384 in 1970. The Snook Lions Club was organized in 1967. During the 1960s the Snook school was integrated with the nearby Jones School for black students. A fire department was organized at Snook about 1970. The community was incorporated in 1972, and a city hall was completed in 1975. In 1990 Snook reported some 488 residents and five businesses. The population reached 568 in 2000.

Mark Odintz, "SNOOK, TX," Handbook of Texas Online http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hls61

accessed December 05, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

History Of Sebesta's Corner Snook, TX

SEBESTA, TX. In the mid-1880s Czech families settled in the southeastern part of Burleson County in a small pocket of Blackland Prairie soil located in a larger area generally known as Mount Prairie; there they formed an all-Czech community. They organized a cooperative store and built a structure for it in the latter 1880s. A candy store, a saloon, a school, and a Czechoslovak Benevolent Society lodge hall built near the cooperative store. A Czech Moravian Brethren church also was built in 1913. The Frank Sebesta family moved to this area in 1890 and settled at the intersection of two roads. The Czechs referred to the spot as Sebesta's Corner, a name later shortened to Sebesta. As the area population grew during the early 1890s a saloon, two general merchandise stores, and a cotton gin were constructed a mile and a half northeast of Sebesta. This was a more central location for a majority of the Czechs living in the area. The new business section grew while the businesses in Sebesta declined. In 1895 a post office was established where the newer businesses were located and it was named Snook. Although a post office was established at Sebesta in 1896, commercial interests continued to shift to Snook. The Sebesta post office closed in 1912, and Sebesta was encompassed in the larger Snook community.

Burleson County Historical Society, Astride the Old San Antonio Road: A History of Burleson County, Texas (Dallas: Taylor, 1980). Clinton Machann and James W. Mendl, Krásná Amerika: A Study of the Texas Czechs, 1851–1939 (Austin: Eakin Press, 1983). Robert L. Skrabanek, Social Organization and Change in a Czech-American Rural Community: A Sociological Study of Snook, Texas (Ph.D. dissertation, Louisiana State University, 1949).